As local residents of Hawaii, we know that this is a pricey paradise. If you’re a traveler/backpacker and looking for budget accommodation, hostels would be the best alternative. It’s a great place for networking with other travelers as well! Three major islands of the Hawaiian island chain have hostel accommodations: Oahu, Big Island, and Maui. There are numerous hostels on these islands but we only chose ones that offer $100 or less.
Backpackers Hawaii has multiple locations throughout North shore. It’s a perfect spot close to Waimea Bay and other beaches around North shore.
????59-788 Kamehameha Highway, Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712
- The Main House
- $30 per night/per person
- The Back House
- $75 per room/per night
- The Beach Building (The studios are $100+ but if you stay with friends and split the cost with others then it’s less than $100 per night)
- $140 per night for a standard studio
- $160 per night for a large studio
- Plantation Village –
- Cabin 1: $85 per night/per room
- Cabin 3: $100 per night/per room
- Cabin 4: $85 per night/per room
- Dorms: $30 per night/per person
SEASIDE HAWAIIAN HOSTEL
Seaside Hawaiian Hostel is a family run hostel located in Waikiki. Very close to the beach, restaurants, and nightlife. They offer dorm style rooms with female and mixed rooms. (*Not for families with kids or if you are under the age of 18.)
????419 Seaside Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815
- 6 Bed Coed Dorm Room: $26.00 per person/per night
- 4 Bed Premium Coed Dorm Room: $33.00 per person/per night
- 6 Bed Premium Coed: $30 per person/per night
- 6 Bed Female Dorm Room: $27.00 per person/per night
- 2 Bed Semi-Private Room (Coed): $57.00 per person/per night
- 2 Bed Semi-Private Room (Female): $60.00 per person/per night
Hostelling International offers two locations on the island of Oahu. One in Honolulu and the other in Waikiki. They offer dorm-style rooms or studios.
- Dorms: $25.00 (members), $28.00 (non-members)
- Private room: $60.00 (members), $66.00 (non-members)
- Dorms: $33.00 (members), $36.00 (non-members)
- Private room: $74.00 (members), $80.00 (non-members)
“Hostelling International is a non-profit membership based organization, promoting peace through hostelling since 1909. Non-members will be asked to pay a $3 non-membership fee per night upon check-in. Membership cards are available at Reception. All rates include taxes.” -Hostelling International
THE BEACH WAIKIKI BOUTIQUE HOSTEL
The Beach Waikiki Boutique Hostel is located in the heart of Waikiki. Not only are they right in the middle of the famous Waikiki but they also offer FREE continental breakfast and wifi. They host free bbq nights and pizza nights on their rooftop lounge as well. Score!
????2569 Cartwright RD Honolulu Hawaii 96815
- Dorm Bed
- Females & Mix: starting at $33 per night/per person
- Private Room
- Starting at $86 per night
Polynesian Hostel has two locations which is located in Waikiki and Kailua. Waikiki is town with the hustle and bustle of people. Kailua is a total opposite from that and has a very chill environment but the accommodation is only a one bedroom, one bath but it’s not under the $100 budget.
????2584 Lemon Rd, Honolulu, HI 96815
- 12 mixed dorm: $27.16 per night/per person
- 8 mixed dorm: $33.88 per night/per person
- 6 mixed dorm: $37.24 per night/per person
- Private room with one queen bed: $78.96 per night (2 max occupancy)
- Private room with two single beds: $78.96 per night (2 max occupancy)
- 2-bed female dorm: $38.50 per night/per person
NORTH SHORE HOSTEL
North Shore Hostel is located in Wailuku town and they offer a free airport shuttle! Not only that, North Shore Hostel also offers free breakfast, a beach shuttle, Lao valley shuttle, international phone, parking, wifi and more. Great deal if you ask me!
????2080 W Vineyard St, Wailuku, HI 96793
- Dormitory bed: $36
- Four bunk beds, exhaust ventilation, floor fans, WIFI. (200 sq. feet / 19 sq. meters. No Bathroom. Capacity 8 guests.)
- Economy private (1-2 people): $79
- One double bed, a ceiling fan, nightstand (table), WIFI. (80 sq. feet / 7.5 sq. meters. No Bathroom. Capacity 2 guests.)
- Standard private (1-2 people): $89
- One double bed and one single bed (twin), a ceiling fan, nightstand (table), WIFI. (120 sq. feet / 11 sq. meters. No Bathroom. Capacity 3-4 guests.)
- Deluxe private (1-2 people): $99
- One queen bed, AC, mini-fridge, ceiling fan, nightstand (table), WIFI, small closet. (130 sq. feet / 12 sq. meters. No Bathroom. Capacity 2 guests.)
BANANA BUNGALOW HOSTEL
Banana Bungalow Hostel offers a free shuttle airport and has a week itinerary out for guests! A great budget hostel and offers most of the tours for free.
????310 N Market St, Wailuku, HI 96793
- Standard Dorm Bed: $43.50
- Women’s Only Dorm: $43.50
- Private 1 Person: $96.50
- More rates on their website for over $100.
*Private rooms come with 2 twin beds or 1 queen bed and do not have private bathrooms, T.V. or telephone.
ALOHA SURF HOSTEL
Aloha Surf Hostel is located in Paia, Maui and walking distance to a few shops and restaurants! They offer a ton of free things from free daily tours, wifi, parking, wifi, pool table, foosball, ping pong, pancake for breakfast, coffee & tea, and much more! For their free daily tours, visit here.
????221 Baldwin Ave, Paia, HI 96779
- Dorm Bed: $42.39 per night
- Private Single (1 Person): $97.14
- More rates on their website for over $100.
MY HAWAII HOSTEL
My Hawaii Hostel is one of the most eye-catching hostels on the Big Island. The hostel almost has a boutique feel to it and the property looks very clean and modern. If you’re heading to this island, definitely check out this hostel!
????76-6241 Alii Drive Kailua-Kona Hawaii 96740
- Mixed Dorm Beds: $40 per night/per person
- Queen, Private Room: $80 per night/per person
KOA WOOD HALE
Koa Wood Hale is a single, two-story place that offers a male, female, and coed dorm beds. There are two dorm rooms on the first floor and the second floor has private rooms. Each guest received fresh towels and bedding. They also offer to loan other things such as tents, snorkel gear, beach towels, sunscreen, umbrellas, etc.
????75-184 Ala Onaona St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
- 4 Dorm Beds: $25 per night/per person
- Standard Single Private Room: $55 per night
- 1 queen size bed, and bedside table. Shared kitchen, bathroom, living room and large patio with a great ocean view. +$10 for a second guest.
HEDONISIA HAWAII ECO-HOSTEL
Hedonisia is an eco-hostel on the Big Island. Yes, an eco-hostel! If you’re looking for a unique experience, stay here! They offer stays in a bungalow, eco huts, tents, school bus, and more. This hostel also offers extended stay programs by volunteering to support the community.
????13-657 Hinalo St, Pāhoa, HI 96778
- Private Camping: If you have your own camping equipment, you can stay here for as little as $25 per night.
- School Bus: Semi-private shared space for as little as $30 per night.
- Huts & Tents: Starting at $40 per night.
- Private Eco Hales: Starting at $55 per night.
- Ocean View Hale: Starting at $60 per night.
- Bamboo Hut Bungalow: Starting at $65 per night.
- Kahuna Cabin: Starting at $75 per night.
- Jungle Cottage: Starting at $95 per night. (fully furnished for 1-2 people)
It may not be the most exotic of stays or even a 5-star accommodation (although, some hostels do offer a close 5 star upgrade) but hostels are a great experience for the veteran traveler. Hostels are also the most convenient and affordable for the individual, less affluent, navigator!