Ever wonder why it is emphasized to buy local? Coincidentally, there are many great benefits of eating locally grown foods such as health benefits, more environmentally friendly and supports your local community.
5 BENEFITS OF EATING LOCALLY GROWN FOODS
1. Buy local, support local. When you purchase food grown nearby, your money doesn’t travel far and goes directly to the local businesses instead of foreign third or even fourth party entities. The more cash that stays within the community, growth in all aspects permeates the locale.
2. Local foods promote food safety. Local businesses are more accountable to their customers because it’s their own communities they are selling to! If the product is grown elsewhere, a potential for contamination during any phase from harvesting, washing, packaging, shipping, and distribution can dramatically increase the farther the product is from the origin. Less distance between your food’s source and your kitchen table leaves less of a chance of contamination (bonus: saves fuel costs for everyone!). Cue: ALWAYS wash your fruits and vegetables!
3. Local foods are fresh. When your food is harvested locally, it takes a shorter time from farm to table instead of weeks or even months for some products shipped over seas. It is also likely the nutrient value is higher being it has less time to decay. Food imported (especially in Hawaii) is aged, exposed to foreign air and sits in distribution centers before it gets to your store.
4. Local food benefits the environment. Buying foods grown and raised closer to where you live helps maintain farmland and ‘green space’ (an area of grass, trees, or other vegetation set apart for recreational or aesthetic purposes in an otherwise urban environment.) in your area.
5. Local foods are seasonal. While we would love to eat lychee all year round, it’s best to wait for the season. The best time to eat them is when they can be purchased directly from a local grower as it’s full of flavor and taste sweeter.
In partnership with Foodland and the Department of Agriculture for the State of Hawaii – Eat Local, Get Rewarded! If you buy one or more local produce items you’ll receive 5 HawaiianMiles or 5 Maika’i Points every time you shop. Foodland makes it easy to find locally made and locally grown items throughout the store (look for the orange signs). Additionally, every local item is featured at a reduced price all year!
Ready to eat locally? Shop at Foodland for the best local grown foods!
Disclosure: Wanderlustyle was sponsored by Foodland and the Department of Agriculture for the State of Hawaii. All of our opinions are honest. Mahalo!