We have a few favorite blogs we read often, one of them being the Local Adventurer. If you’re not familiar with their blog, they move to a new city every year and share the best things to do in that area. One of the series featured on their site is 101 things to do in that particular place which inspired us to write this post!
Every Hawaiian Island is unique in different categories and if you ask ten strangers which island they prefer, you’ll likely have an array of mixed answers. With seven of the eight major islands to visit, it’s hard to choose out of Niihau, Kauai, Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, or the Big Island (aka Hawaii island). Kahoolawe is the only island not open to tourists. Every island offers a different experience, regarding activities, restaurants and eateries, scenic views and in some locations, a more traditional Hawaiian culture. If you’re curious to know more specifically about each island check out our post: Which Hawaiian island to visit.
*Click on the link to skip to the island of your choice*
Island of Oahu Bucket List
Island of Big Island Bucket List
Island of Maui Bucket List
Island of Kaua’i Bucket List
Island of Kaho’olawe Bucket List
Island of Lana’i Bucket List
Island of Molokai Bucket List
Island of Ni’ihau Bucket List
ISLAND OF OAHU
4. ☑ Do a Sunset SUP (Stand Up Paddle) Yoga with Yoga Floats
5. ☑ Booze Cruise in Waikiki – Best for Sunset!
6. ☑ Secret Island Tour – Enjoy the day on a secret island filled with activities! Go kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, snorkeling, and relaxing on a hammock!
8. ☑ Visit the Dole Plantation – Do the Pineapple Maze and Taste the Delicious Dole Whip!
9. ☑ Visit a local Farmers Market – Especially KCC Farmers Market
10. ☑ Walk the Waikiki Strip – Check out the restaurants and shops!
11. ☑ Parasail in Waikiki – Best time during sunset!
12. ☑ Visit these Museums: Polynesian Cultural Center, ‘Iolani Palace, Bishop Museum, and Honolulu Museum of Art
13. ☑ Swim with the Dolphins
14. ☑ Attend a Luau
15. ☑ Snorkel at Sharks Cove
16. ☑ Swim with the Sharks at North Shore
17. ☑ Kayak to Mokulua Islands at Lanikai (You can kayak to the Island on the left!)
18. ☑ Check out the Turtles at Turtle Beach
19. ☑ Of Course, Learn How to Surf!
HIKES + BEACHES
21. ☑ Hike Manoa Falls
22. ☑ Hike to the Makapuu Lighthouse (Great for those with Strollers) then Go Down Makapuu Tide Pools (Not for strollers)
23. ☑ Hike to the Top of Koko Head
26. 🔲 Hike the famous Stairway to Heaven (Haiku Stairs)
27. ☑ Check out the Huge Waves at Pipeline Beach – Attend the Vans Triple Crown Surf
29. ☑ Try the Acai Bowl at Haleiwa Bowls + Shave Ice at Matsumotos (All at the Northshore)
30. ☑ Eat at Zippy’s Restaurant for Local Food
31. ☑ Have Breakfast at Cinnamon’s or Boots and Kimos
OTHER OAHU POSTS:
ISLAND OF BIG ISLAND
33. ☑ Witness the Beauty of the Lava Flow into the Pacific Ocean
34. ☑ Walk Through the Thurston Lava Tube
35. ☑ See the Tallest Mountain on Earth, Mauna Kea
36. ☑ Visit Akaka Falls – Most Well-known Waterfall on the Big Island
37. ☑ Snorkel Next to the Captain Cook Monument – Kealakekua bay
38. ☑ Drive to the South Point Cliff
39. 🔲 Visit the Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens
40. ☑ Go for a Night Swim with the Manta rays
41. ☑ Check out the Active Volcanoes at the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
42. ☑ Stop and See the Rainbow Falls
43. 🔲 Visit the Kona Coffee Farm
HIKES + BEACHES
44. 🔲 Visit the Green Sand Beach at Papakōlea Beach
45. ☑ See the Punalu’u Black Sand Beach
46. 🔲 Kahaluʻu Bay – Great Place for New Snorkelers
47. ☑ Taste the Best Poke on the Island at Da Poke Shack
48. ☑ Eat like a Local at Ken’s House of Pancakes
OTHER BIG ISLAND POSTS:
ISLAND OF MAUI
49. ☑ Snorkel at Molokini – Best place for snorkeling!
50. ☑ Jet Ski at Lahaina
51. ☑ Drive the Road to Hana
52. ☑ Witness the sunset at Haleakala
53. ☑ See Mars in Maui – Haleakala Crater
54. ☑ Stay at Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort – Best hotel for the whole family
HIKES + BEACHES
56. 🔲 See the Seven Sacred Pools
57. 🔲 Walk through the Bamboo Forest
58. ☑ Visit the black sand beach at Waianapanapa State Park
59. ☑See the Red Sand Beach at Kaihalulu Bay
60. 🔲 Swim at Kapalua Bay – Conde Nast named it as the “Best Beach in the World”.
62. ☑ Get the Deep Fried Spam Musubi at Da Kitchen Cafe
63. ☑ Make Your Own Pancakes at Slappy Cakes
65. ☑ Taste the Banana Creme Pie at Leoda’s Kitchen and Pie Shop
OTHER MAUI POSTS:
ISLAND OF KAUA’I
66. ☑ Mountain Tubing through tunnels and caves. The best activity for the family!
67. ☑ See the country and check out Hanapepe Swinging Bridge
68. 🔲 Do a rum tasting at the Koloa Rum Company
69. ☑ Na Pali Coast – It’s beautiful via boat or air.
70. ☑ See the beauty of Waimea Canyon – Also known as the Grand Canyon of the Pacific
71. 🔲 Do the Kaua’i Movie Adventure Tour
72. ☑ Check out the Wet and Dry Cave Haena State Park
74. ☑ Visit Wailua Falls – most popular waterfall to visit on the island. It cascades into two streams!
HIKES + BEACHES
75. 🔲 Snorkel at Tunnels – also known as Makua Beach (for confident swimmers)
76. 🔲 Hike the Canyon Trail and see the beauty of Waimea Canyon in a different view
77. ☑ Enjoy the best sandy beach on the island: Polihale Beach (Our favorite beach in Kaua’i)
78. 🔲 Snorkel at Lawai Beach – Easy access
79. ☑ Hike Na Pali Coast State Park
80. 🔲 Hike on the Sleeping Giant Trail
81. ☑ Swim at Queen’s Bath – perfect to go during the summer.
82. ☑ Try the shave ice at The Fresh Shave
84. ☑ Taste the food at NOM Kauai
ISLAND OF KAHO’OLAWE
85. 🔲 Do volunteer work at Kaho’olawe – The only way to visit this island is by doing volunteer work.
ISLAND OF LANA’I
86. 🔲 If you love cats, visit the Lana’i Cat Sanctuary
87. 🔲 Rent a 4×4 and drive to the Garden of the Gods
88. 🔲 Do the Polaris Off-Road Tour
89. 🔲 Visit the Sweetheart Rock
90. 🔲 See Shipwreck Beach
HIKES + BEACH
91. 🔲 Hike the Munro Trail
92. 🔲 Swim at Polihau Beach – longest white sand beach on the island
ISLAND OF MOLOKAI
93. 🔲 See 1,000 coconut trees at Kapuaiwa Coconut Grove
94. 🔲 Check out Kalaupapa Leprosy Settlement and National Historical Park
95. 🔲 See the unique Phallic Rock at Pala’au State Park
96. 🔲 Admire Olo’upena Falls – 4th tallest waterfall in the world.
97. 🔲 Mail a coconut at Post-A-Nut – fun for the family to decorate a coconut and send it to loved ones!
HIKES + BEACHES
98. 🔲 Hike to through Halawa Valley and see what Hawaii looked like thousands of years ago.
99. 🔲 Swim at Papohaku Beach – One of Hawaii’s largest white sand beaches
ISLAND OF NI’IHAU
100. 🔲 Explore Lehua Crater
101. 🔲 Visit the Nanina beach on the Forbidden Island – Access to parts of the island is restricted but visiting the beach is acceptable.
After listing 100 things to do in Hawai’i, it goes to show that we still have a lot to check off the bucket list! If we missed anything, please let us know in the comments!